(High flying jets made this in the sky above the Rose Bowl - how cool is that?)Well, the holiday break is coming to a close and oh how I hate to see it go.
How we celebrated the closing of a year and the beginning of another:
Dec. 31st-
Bute (Ryan) picked us up at the airport and then Nick and I were off to Magic Mountain to ride as many roller coasters I could get Nick on! It was awesome! This time I was tall enough to ride the BIG ONES! We rode in the very front car on each coaster, and then laughed at our pictures afterwards, especially Nick's facial expression! The "X2" is now officially my favorite roller coaster- I give it a 10! Later that night, Nick, Bute and I went to dinner at "K-ZO" for some of the best sushi I have ever had in my life. We chilled at Ryan's afterward to welcome in the New Year. It was a great way to spend the last day of 2008!

January 1st-
We woke up and prepped ourselves for the Rose Bowl. We found some Penn State fans at the train station to Pasadena and were able to say our first, "WE ARE...PENN STATE"! It was a cool feeling being surrounded by other Penn State fans for the first time, we were like lost dogs who found their pack. Not too many Penn State fans in Utah! From the Pasadena train station (Bute- it's Memorial Park!) we walked to the stadium along with a crew of other people and I remember thinking how weird it was, this parade of people, almost marching, through this quiet residential neighborhood... before it suddenly opens up to a beautiful stadium tucked away in between hills. What a sight! Although our team lost, it was still an amazing experience. We were a part of the 95th Rose Bowl! I think all of us felt the appreciation in being able to attend such a huge event, one of our country's traditions. The stadium is beautiful and the perfect size I thought, where even the highest row still has great view. We found our way back to Bute's later that night and ended the day watching "our" movie, "The Big Lebowski". Another great day!

January 2nd-
Bute brought us out on his boat (from Marina Del Ray) and it was amazing to be out riding on the Pacific. We had dolphins swimming and jumping close to the boat and they even swam up to and right under the boat! I was so excited. That was my first encounter with dolphins and I fell even more in love with them. We also saw a lot of seals and Nick commented that they were like the dogs of the ocean. There was this one seal that seemed to be adopted by a pack of dolphins - he was swimming along and jumping up them, which looked pretty funny! It was refreshing and invigorating to feel the ocean waves again... to taste the sea salt... and feel the mist of ocean water on my face. What a way to end our vacation. I know we will be back! Thanks Bute!


Glad you guys had such a great time!! I am "oober" jealous about your boating on the ocean and dolphins are my absolutely my favorite. How fun!! Glad you got to have a good get away! Hugs to both of you. Love, Kirstin
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome holiday you got! I thought of you when I saw the Rose Bowl game on tv. I was wondering where you guys were sitting! Those jets in the sky were amazing to get that photo!
ReplyDeleteSo, Im soooo jealous on your how you got to celebrate your New Years! How fun...and warm!! I loved Magic Mountain, Jarrod and I took a vacation there in 2003 and we spent one of the days there. LOVED the X2--it was just X back then though. I had a nightmare about it the night before so we rode that ride first to overcome my fear....I got so scared as we were getting ready to start the ride...I kept yelling "F&#@ this!, F*&%# this!!" We freakin waited 3 hours in line for that bitch. Hopefully you didnt have to too. It was worth the wait though :) And how sweet of Nick to say that to you on Christmas...I have to admit, I got a little teary eyed. That was so sincere and adorable :) Anyways, looks like you had a great holiday season...good to hear :) Hope to see you guys soon!
ReplyDeleteHow cool is that! Wish we could have met you at the Rose Bowl (maybe another time). Going out on the boat sounds great, I love dolphins. How fun!! Good for you to have such a wonderful New Year. Love and miss you both, Misty
ReplyDelete